Course in Kinetic Theory
- A presentation of the Boltzmann equation and some of its relatives
- Basic existence and uniqueness theory for the Boltzmann
- Rigorous derivation of the Boltzmann equation (this is largely
an unresolved problem, but there are partial results)
- Some results on the derivation of fluid equations starting from
the Boltzmann equation.
The course will take place
starting the 2/9.
- Tuesday 13.15-15
- Thursday 8.15-10
Unfortunately I will have to move some of these times because of
meetings etc. that are already scheduled:
16/9, 23/9 (we could have one hour), 28/9, 30/9.
Possibly the only solution will be to extend the course a bit longer
into the next period.
I will mostly use the following sources for the course:
There will be several additions to this. Plese look at the web
Here are the handwritten lecture notes: p. 1-13 ,
l. 2 ,
set 3 ,
set 4 .
More notes here:
from oct. 7 . Please
observe that there are exercises in these notes.
- read these pages
and solve the problems marked with red.
- there are exercises in the notes form 2010-10-07
The course will end with a written examination.
Below I will make comments to what we actually did during the course.
Last modified: Wed Sep 15 18:11:05 +0200 2010