Chalmers University of Technology and University of Gothenburg
SE-412 96 Gothenburg
Phone: +46 31 772 35 20 (office) +46 31 18 43 37 (home)
Fax: +46 31 772 35 08 (office) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fellow of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, Fellow of the Royal Gothenburg Society of Arts and Sciences, Fellow of the Institute of Mathematical Statistics, Member of the International Statistical Institute, Dr. h.c. of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences.
President of the Royal Gothenburg Society of Arts and Sciences 2012.
First Vice President of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences 2007 - 2010.
President of Bernoulli Society 2005 - 2007.
President of the Chalmers Faculty Senate 1993-2002, Member of the Scientific Council of Statistics Sweden 1980 - 2005, Chair Swedish National Centre for Mathematics Education (NCM) 2001-2008.
Coordinating Editor of the Advances in Applied Probability and Journal of Applied Probability, Member of the Editorial Board of the Springer Series in Probability and its Applications, Associate Editor of Mathematical Population Studies, Serdica, and Biology Direct, Editor-in-Chief of Stochastic Processes and their Applications 1989-1993.
Chair Folkuniversitetet/Kursverksamheten vid Göteborgs Universitet 1998 - 2013, Past Chairman of the Fraunhofer-Chalmers Research Centre for Industrial Mathematics, Member of the Fraunhofer Gesellschaft, Member of the Advisory Board of MATRIX, Australia.
Stochastic processes - in particular branching processes, population
dynamics, probability theory, and statistics. Probability in biology, models for evolution.
Branching Processes with Biological Applications. John Wiley and
Sons: London (1975).
Classical and Modern Branching Processes. With Krishna Athreya (eds).
Springer: New York (1997).
Branching Processes: Variation, Growth and Extinction of Populations.
With Patsy Haccou and Vladimir A. Vatutin. Cambridge University Press (2005).
Some papers during three decades:
- From size to age and type structure dependent branching: a first step to sexual reproduction in general population processes. (With F. C. Klebaner).
Branching Processes and their Applications (I. M. del Puerto et al., eds.), Springer Lecture Notes in Statistics, 137-148 (2016).
- On the complete life career of populations in environments with a finite carrying capacity.
Pliska Stud. Math. 24, 55-60 (2015).
- The age structure of population-dependent general branching processes in environments with a high carrying capacity. (With K. Hamza and F. C. Klebaner). Proc. Steklov Inst. 282, 90 - 105 (2013).
- Dependence and interaction in branching processes. (With F. C. Klebaner). Prokhorov and Contemporary Probability (A.N. Shiryaev, S. R. S. Varadhan, E. L. Presman, eds.), Springer Proceedings in Mathematics and Statistics 33, 325 - 333 (2013).
- Evolutionary branching in a stochastic population model with discrete mutational steps. (With S. Sagitov and B. Mehlig.) Theoret. Pop. Biol. 83, 145-164 (2013).
- A decomposable branching process in a Markovian environment. (With V. A. Vatutin, E, Dyakonova, and S. Sagitov). Applications of Stochastic Processes in Biology and Medicine. Special issue 2012 of International Journal of Stochastic Analysis., Article ID 694285, 24 pages, (2012). doi:10.1155/2012/694285.
- Population size dependent, age structured branching processes linger around their carrying capacity. (With F. C. Klebaner.) J. Appl. Prob. 48A, 249-260 (2011).
- Stochasticity in the adaptive dynamics of evolution: the bare bones. (With F. C. Klebaner, S. Sagitov, V. Vatutin, and P. Haccou). J. Biol. Dyn. 5, 147-162 (2011).
- Extinction, persistence, and evolution. The Mathematics of Darwin's Legacy. (F. Chalub and J. F. Rodrigues, eds.), 91-104. Birkhauser, Basel (2011)
- Coalescent approximation for structured populations in a stationary random environment. (With S. Sagitov and V. Vatutin.) Theoret. Pop. Biol. 78, 192-199 (2010).
- Some Notes on the History of Branching Processes, from my Perspective. Lecture at the Oberwolfach Symposium on "Random Trees", 18-24 January, 2009.
- A plea for stochastic population dynamics. J. Math. Biol. 60, 761-764. (2010).
- Viability of small populations experiencing recurring catastrophes. (With Karin C. Harding) Math. Pop. Studies 16, 177-198 (2009).
- The mixing advantage is less than 2 (With Kais Hamza, Aidan Sudbury, and Daniel Tokarev) Extremes 12, 19-31 (2009)
- General branching processes in discrete time as random trees. (With Serik Sagitov) Bernoulli 14:4, 949-962 (2008).
- General branching processes conditioned on extinction are still branching processes (With Andreas N. Lageras) Elect. Comm. Probab. 13:51 (2008).
- On the path to extinction. (With F. C. Klebaner and S. Sagitov) Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. 104, 6107-6111 (2007).
- Markovian paths to extinction. (With F. C. Klebaner and S. Sagitov) Adv . Appl. Probab. 39, 569-587 (2007).
The coalescent effective size of age-structured populations. (With S. Sagitov)
Ann. Appl. Probab. 15, 1778-1797 (2005).
Branching processes in near-critical random encironments. (With F. C. Klebaner)
In: J. Gani and E. Seneta (eds.) Stochastic Methods and their Applications. J. Appl. Prob. Special Volume 41A, 17-24 (2004).
Convergence to the coalescent in populations of substantially varying size. (With S. Sagitov). J. Appl. Probab. 41, 368-378 (2004).
Random variation and concentration effects in PCR. (With F. C. Klebaner)
J. Theoret. Biol. 224, 299-304 (2003)
Branching processes with deteriorating random environments. (With Lu Zhunwei).
J. Appl. Probab. 39, 395-401 (2002)
The growth of general population-size-dependent branching processes year
by year. (With S. Sagitov). J. Appl. Probab. 37 , 1-14 (2000).
The deterministic evolution of general branching populations. In: M. de
Gunst, C. Klaassen, and A. van der Vaart (eds.), State of the Art in
Statistics and Probability Theory. Festschrift for Willem R. van Zwet .
IMS Lecture Notes (2000)
Population-size-dependent and age-dependent branching processes. (With
F. Klebaner). Stoch. Proc. Appl. 87 , 235-254 (2000).
Branching processes with dependence but homogeneous growth. Ann. Appl.
Prob. 9, 1160-1174 (1999).
Coupling and population dependence in branching processes. Ann. Appl.
Prob. 7, 281 - 298 (1997).
Towards dependencies in general branching processes. Classical and Modern
Branching Processes, 127 - 139 (1997).
Branching processes as population dynamics. Bernoulli 1, 191 - 200
(1995) and a correction in Bernoulli 2, 108 (1996).
composition of supercritical multi-type branching populations.
(With O. Nerman) Springer Lecture Notes in Mathematics, 1626,
40 - 54 (1996).
General branching processes in varying environment. (With H. Cohn) Ann.
Appl. Prob. 4, 184 - 193 (1994).
Stabilities and instabilities in population dynamics. J. Appl. Prob.
29, 770 - 780 (1992).
When did Joe's great...grandfather live? Or: On the time-scale of evolutio
n. (With O. Nerman and Z. Taib) IMS Lecture Notes-Monograph Series 18
The growth and stabilization of of populations. With discussion. Statistical
Science 6, 269-283 (1991).
General branching processes as Markov fields. Stoch. Proc. Appl. 32,
183 - 212 (1989).
Post-stratification against bias in sampling. Int. Statist. Rev. 54,,
159 - 167 (1986).